Demo by xq, released at Under Construction 2019.
Compo: PC 4K
File Size: 999 Byte
EPILEPSY WARNING: This demo may flashes abruptly and uncontrolled.
Compo Version: Click to start! (999 Byte)
"Fixed" Version: Click to start! (1017 Byte)
Requires a monitor with a resolution of 1920x1080 and 60 Hz refresh rate. Other setups
may work, but higher frequency monitors will not achieve the desired effect, but may be
interesting as well.
About the demo
This demo was meant as a joke but turned out to be a kind of fingerprinting tool.
What happens depends on OS, browser, monitor, screen type, screen size, …. It's not
possible to predict what happens. Some of the stuff that may happen:
- Nothing. White or black screen. May flip color after 30 seconds or so (happened at the compo)
- Unpredictable flickering (happens on most of the devices)
- Slow fading between black and white (happens on some mobile devices)
- Black background, but the address bar flashes (happens on halcys iOS device)
- Brutal strobo (happens in internet explorer with Windows 10)
This behaviour is achieved by using a really off-by-a-bit framerate for a black-to-white
background animation. The exact animation time would be
16.666714ms (which is
roughly 59.999 Hz). So execution of this animation depends on the granularity of the system
clock, animation data type (float or double) and so on.